Friday, February 15, 2008

A Conclusion From TEAM STEEZ and A Newly Formed Family

When I saw the list for the first time and saw that i was to blog on the last day I immediately realized the task that had been put in front of me... I was going to have to summarize a whole week of new experiences and people and express my feelings in a short testament. Unfortunately, this task has become harder as this experience has been a mind-blowing adventure that will last in my mind forever. So, for the sake of you the reader I decided to simply highlight my fondest memories and the people and places I will never forget.
TEAM STEEZ: Team Steez was the group that I had the privilage to work very closely with for the first three days. We were led by our instrutor Jill who showed a passion for her job and learning that is very hard to find. Together we dug snow pits that were close to six-feet deep and battled weather that no person wants to be in just to finish a research project. This group of people truly became my family this trip and I am indebted to all of them for the experience they allowed me.

YELLOWSTONE- On Thursday we had the opportunity to venture into Mr. Angelo's "backyard" and see the prettiest country that my eyes have ever witnessed. We traveled on the most popular geothermal feature trail in the park and WOW!!! was it amazing.

BOY'S DORM: The saying "boys will be boys" has never been so apparent to me as this trip was. I spend a lot of time with boys on trips for sports and other events but when you lock 19 boys in a single building for a solid week trouble is bound to happen. Headed by comedians like Matt Duke-Rosati, Chris Gibbs, and John Emery there was never a dull moment and there was always something to talk about in the morning.

Now, for today...
We began this morning by learning how to effectively find a rescue a person that had been trapped in an avalanche and got great instruction from Mr. Angelo, Tink, Park Ranger Ed, Bryan, D-reck, and Jill. We then went in to eat a quick lunch and headed off for Coyote Rock. The journey to the summit of Coyote Rock was a trecherous uphill battle that had a reward that honestly took my breath away. From the top we had a view of the prestine Teton Range and the vast untouched forest that it seemed no man had ever set foot on. After taking numerous pictures and grabbing a quick bite we began our very fast and exilerating ride to the bottom. We then packed, cleaned the dorms, showered, and headed to our final dinner. After dinner we went to the closing ceremony where we heard how great we are (ha ha), gave out awards, said our thank yous, and concluded with a Native American story experienced by Mr. Angelo that caused us to question native american stories. Overall the closing ceremony was an opportunity for us all to express our feelings on the trip and brought a bunch of peers and teachers together as our family....
This was an experience i will never forget.

- by Joseph Earl Pond
2008

No comments: